Monday, April 17, 2017

Ambridge memorabilia: Ambridge Hotel receipt 1909

As much as I'd like to, I usually don't buy much Ambridge memorabilia due to budgetary restrictions. But this Hotel Ambridge receipt was an exception. I bought it for two reasons: 1. As brief as it is, it taught me something about the Hotel Ambridge/Ambridge Hotel that surprised me; and 2. It amused me. Quite honestly, mostly because it amused me.

Hotel Ambridge receipt
Sept. 11, 1909

The receipt is on 8 1/2" x 6" now-fragile lined paper. It says:

 "Received of C. A. Lockwood 1.50 for Electric Current to run Fan for One Month. Gus C. Frank."

Can you imagine what current* hotel bills would look like if guests were billed separately if they used a room's electricity to charge all their technology--cell phones, ipads, laptops, and the like?

You can read about the history of the Ambridge Hotel and see photos of it in my April 27, 2014, blog post, "The Ambridge Hotel."
_____

* I probably shouldn't admit this, but I didn't intentionally write "current" as an electrical pun, but I like it, so let's pretend that I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment