Monday, December 19, 2016

Ambridge memorabilia: Tait's Garage sign

This "Taits Garage" sign is one of the larger pieces of Ambridge memorabilia someone has shared with me.

"Taits Garage" sign
owned by Gary Augustine
photo credit: Nancy Knisley
April 6, 2016

This white metal sign with blue lettering once hung on the Tait's Garage building at 1307 Merchant St. I didn't think to measure it when I photoed it, and I'm terrible at estimating the dimensions of things, but I'd say the sign is maybe five feet long by four inches high. When I find out the actual dimensions from the sign's owner, Gary Augustine, I'll update this post.

Tait's Garage ad
Economy Centennial Souvenir Program
June 1924

As far as I can determine, the Tait family built the garage building in 1920. The building was later occupied by R. E. Stettler & Sons, a Cadillac and Oldsmobile car dealership, then Economy Bowling Lanes. Economy Lanes was sold earlier this year and an antiques business will occupy the building.

Economy Lanes
1307 Merchant St.
April 6, 2016

Some Ambridge history buffs may recognize the name of the sign's owner, Gary Augustine, as a local LST expert. The reason he ended up with the Tait Garage sign is that his aunt was married to Harry Tait. The Tait family once owned a house at 288 Fourteenth St., now razed, as well as a livery stable behind the house that was razed in the 1980s.

No comments:

Post a Comment