Sunday, December 11, 2022

Ambridge's Hayes Flower Shop

Hayes Flower Shop
624 Merchant St.
ad
Daily Citizen
August 10, 1929

The Hayes Flower Shop was a long-time Ambridge business. I don't know when the shop opened, but it had an ad, shown below, in Old Economy's 1924 Centennial book, Economy of Old and Ambridge of Today. At that time it was located at 455 Merchant St., an address that no longer exists.

Hayes' Flower Shop ad
Economy of Old and Ambridge of Today
June 1924

The flower shop later moved to a storefront at 624 Merchant in the Prince Theatre building. That new location was the only storefront in the Prince building to the right of the theater's entrance. I don't know when the flower shop moved into that space. That address also no longer exists.

I know the shop was still in business in 1937 because it placed the ad below in the St. Veronica High School Senior Class play program. But I don't know when it closed.

Hayes Flower Shop ad
St. Veronica High School
Senior Class play program
May 24, 1937
courtesy St. Luke Parish Valley archives

If I find out when the flower shop opened, moved from one location to the other, or closed, I'll update this post.
_____ 

If you have any additional information about the Hayes Flower Shop, or any businesses which later occupied that storefront, perhaps with a different building number, please post a comment. Or let me know via email or on the blog's Facebook page.

I still don't know when the Prince Theatre's former entrance and storefronts were razed. Based on the information in the blog's post about the history of the Prince Theatre, maybe in the 1980s? I'd appreciate any information.

No comments:

Post a Comment