Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Gas and Electric Shop ad, 1933

My doing research on Ambridge history sometimes feels to me like opening my plaid, metal lunchbox when I was a student at Divine Redeemer School, expecting to find the usual jumbo on white bread. And while the sandwich is there, I discover that my mom unexpectedly threw in a chocolate chip cookie! Such a nice surprise.

That's how I felt when I came across this ad from the May 12, 1933, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette for the Gas and Electric Shop, a store I hadn't previously known once had been in Ambridge. It's hard to read the locations at the bottom of the ad, but it lists an Ambridge store at 654 Merchant St.

What mom wouldn't want a Mothers Day gift of a new radio that will allow her to listen to police calls?!

Gas and Electric Shops ad
654 Merchant St.
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
May 12, 1933

You can read the ad's small print better if you go to the newspaper by clicking on the link I've included in the text, and then enlarge the ad. Interesting reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment